Imposter means a person who is pretending to be someone they are not, or presenting themselves as more qualified, capable, or legitimate than they believe they really are.
For example:
He was an imposter pretending to be a doctor.
I feel like an imposter at work → “I feel as though I don't really deserve to be here, and sooner or later people will discover that I'm not as capable as they think.”
The psychological meaning: “impostor feeling”
When people say “I have impostor syndrome,” they usually mean a persistent feeling such as:
“I don't really deserve my success. I somehow got here by luck, and eventually people will discover that I'm not actually good enough.”
Interestingly, this can happen even when there is plenty of objective evidence of competence.
Why does it develop?
Several things can contribute:
1. Conditional approval in childhood
A child may learn:
“I'm worthy when I'm good, successful, obedient, talented, helpful…”
Then achievement becomes proof of worth rather than simply something they enjoy doing.
2. Perfectionism
If your internal standard is “I must do it exceptionally well,” ordinary mistakes become evidence that you're a fraud.
3. Being compared with others
You see other people's polished results while experiencing your own doubts, failures and unfinished work. It creates the illusion that everyone else is naturally competent.
4. Entering a new environment
A new profession, audience, social circle, or level of success can temporarily make you feel like an outsider:
“Who am I to be here?”
5. Success that happened through something that feels easy or natural
This one is fascinating. If something comes naturally to you, you may discount it:
“If it isn't difficult for me, it can't really be valuable.”
So you attribute your success to luck rather than ability.
6. Fear of being exposed
At the heart of impostor feelings is often not “I'm incompetent,” but:
“If people see the whole truth about me, they won't value me anymore.”
That makes the feeling closely connected with shame and vulnerability.
And there is an important distinction
Feeling like an impostor doesn't necessarily mean that you are one.
An actual impostor deceives people about who they are or what they can do.
A person experiencing impostor feelings often does the opposite: they underestimate themselves despite having real competence.
Sometimes the healing isn't becoming more confident. It's learning to say:
“I don't have to prove that I deserve to be here. I can simply be here.”
That is quite different from arrogance. It's belonging without having to earn belonging.


Комментариев нет:
Отправить комментарий